Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Santa Rosa Og Shredder Thomas Re Q&A

Thomas doing a huge Feeble on a stair ledge in Berkeley,Photo from Chad Smith of norcalbmx.com


The Bay Bmx had the opportunity to interview OG Santa Rosa Shredder and all around bad ass Thomas Re.Thomas has been riding for over a decade and has been one of Nor-Cal's heavy hitters for years now.Thomas doesn't limit himself to what He can ride. Trails,Park,And Street is all fair game to him,Whatever his homies ride that day is what is on his shred menu.

Thomas is known for his technical combo tricks, Barspin variations, Manual lines,Or just cruising around the Santa Rosa park. He also has done some very burly rails and moves over the years.Thomas's skills and burliness are showcased in Chad Smith's video Disobedience from the mid 2000 era,As well as some rad pictures Chad sent on over to me.

These days Thomas still rides whenever he has the chance to,But also does other things like skydiving,Drifting cars,Snowboarding or just about anything fun he can think of.So without further introduction, Here is what Thomas had to say when i presented his questions to him.Thanks to Thomas Re for taking the time to do this,And to Chad Smith for the Pictures and Thomas's Video part.

        Thomas doing a Truckdriver on a hip at his home skatepark in Santa Rosa.-Photo-Chad Smith



#1. What's your Name, Age, And where do you currently reside?

Thomas Richard Re, 28 years old, And I'm from Santa Rosa,Ca.

#2. Do you have any hook ups?Also What is your current bike set up?

Scarea was my friends clothing company that i rode and helped with.  I'm still trying to get my own thing going called Forever Young, But it's just a pipe dream right now. Other then that no hook up's at this time.

My bike set up now is a Haro SD THANKS TO DENNIS FOR HOOKING THAT UP, And just a bunch of parts laying around that Jerm hooked up thanks to his OCD about bike parts.

                         Thomas with a Downside Double peg stall somewhere in Cali.Photo-Chad Smith


#3.Tell us a little how you got into riding and what kind of riding do you enjoy most?

I stared riding around the hood and had a flatland bike first. Then I found the skate park and it was all down hill from there. I like all kinds of riding, Park, Street,And dirt all of it's  awesome! As long as i'm with my friends and on my bike it's all good. I never want to limit myself to one kind of riding.

Thomas doing an Icepick stall to Fakie at the 2003 2-Hip Meet The Street,Photo-Chad Smith


#4.Do you have any favorite spots?Also any recent or older memories of spots you enjoyed?

Ok, Well most people will already know this one,The Santa rosa skate park is my favorite. I  just love it so much. From raging session going on, To the jams we have to the parking lot chilling, You can't find a better place. I liked way to many spots. I like woodward east is up there lots of good times there.Anything in Oregon ,San Diego is awesome and any outdoor park at night with lights love that shit!!!!

#5 If you could change anything about bmx what would it be and why?

Maybe the way kids throw the bars these days hahaha!! I don't know if i would change much everything happens for a reason. I just wish it was a little more for fun then getting picked up by a company.There is too many kids who just wanna make it big. They are so hard on each other, Just have fun and push yourself forget everone else, It's freestyle be free.
 Thomas with a Tailwhip at dusk at the Santa Rosa skatepark.Photo Credit-Chad Smith

#6. Who inspired your style of riding and who did you look up to coming up in the game?

Well Van Homan for sure, Then Taj and Joe, Morgan Wade, Joey Garcia and Chad Kagy for sure. As far as the new kids  there is way to many, But I love watching Dennis Enarson. He is a great kid who deserves everything he has, And Drew Bezanson also. I like riding and watching the local kids like lil nate and Will, Daniel, Ryan and Japan. They all keep me on my bike and motivated so thanks guys.

#7.How do you feel about the Nor-Cal bmx scene?

I love the scene here, I think there is lots of great riders here and stuff to ride. I just hate how it's not really big on the map of bmx which I think sucks it needs to blow up and get more exposure.
     Thomas doing a double kinker rail on a roadtrip for his Disobedience video clips,Photo-Chris Jehly

#8.A lot of people from the North Bay absolutely kill it,You being one of those riders.What was it like in the early to mid 2000's when the Norcalbmx.com site was going?

Some of the best times in my life man, Van's skatepark sessions, Jenson park, Drews bmx, 2 hip contest, Oroville contest, Everthing was so easy back then. Everyone was so young and just wanted to ride. You could go meet up with so many people and so many places and just sesh,  It was awesome!! It sucks when people have to grow up and move on to bigger things, But yes those were great times !!!!!!!
                  Thomas with a nice Suicide No Hander at the Santa Rosa park.Photo-Chad Smith.

#9 Your part in Chad Smith's Disobedience Video was kick ass and way ahead of its time.Did you ever feel under pressure to get clips or was it natural?

Disobedience was all natural, It was just everyone doing what they wanted and Chad  Smith was  a wizard.We just got it all so it was never pressure, I just wanted to film everything and we did. Only thing that sucked was missing clips and having to do stuff twice like the tag rail in the city. We had to go all the way back for that one clip. But all Disobedience was about is all the boys doing what we do and filming and documenting it. By the way we are trying to get a second video going so if you have footy send it Chad Smith's way !!!!

When Thomas isn't being burly,He likes to throw down tech wizardry,Here we have a barspin to fufanu.Photo-Chad Smith.

#10.These days what other kinds of stuff are you into for fun besides riding?

Ok wow, Well there is a lot.I'm trying to do everthing these days, I got certified to skydive, I love motorsports, Rally cross, Drifting, Rockcrawling. I'm trying to get more into motocross, I have a stand up jet ski that i'm in love with.Then snowboarding, Wakeboarding, Down hill trike drifting, And BMX of course.It's just about having a good time with life. I'm also a big 49er fan these days thanks to Big Jerm, So yeah that's it I think! At least for now ahahahahahahaa!!!
Thomas likes to get tech with his tricks when he is having a kick back sesh,Here with a Footjam Suicide at the Santa Rosa Park-Photo Chad Smith.

#11. Would you like to give any shout outs?

Big shout out to Mom and Dad. He is a enabler to all my fun,I could not do what I do without him, So thanks Dad love ya so much. God of course, Porter my brother from another mother for making me do stuff I don't want to. Tyler for always helping me with my car, Jimmy Haliday and Big Jim for bringing me into their world of skydiving. (Thanks guys see ya soon YAHOO MAN)
Anybody who has loaned me money. Chad Smith for making a couple of kids superstars and anybody who has filmed us. The whole Santa Rosa family you guys rule, P nut for the 24 block best house ever. Travis Pastrana for all the influence. Anybody who has got my heart going and got that butt hole tight keep it puckerd!!  Also everyone who helps me laugh thanks guys. Ohh and The Bay Bmx for this interview !!!!! Thanks if I left you out sorry there way to many people to thank!!

Here is Santa Rosa Og Jeremy Mccart And Thomas Re's Section from Chad Smith's Disobedience video,Thank to beerman of www.sjbmx.com for uploading it.

Thomas's section is one of the best video parts in my opinion to come out of Nor-Cal to date.So if you have a minute,Watch his section.It really showcases his burliness and tech ability.


Disobedience (2004) Part 5/6 from Chris McMahon on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment